The establishment of SAIA in 1990 is directly related to this Programme; it is financed by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of SR on the basis of contract signed with SAIA.
In this Programme SAIA:
- provides information and advisory service to persons interested in study abroad;
- from 2010 operates an on‑line searchable database of scholarships and grants on www.grants.saia.sk, created in cooperation with the IT Company Anasoft APR;
- organises selection of applicants for scholarship stays in about 28 countries based on bilateral agreements and direct offers from foreign governments;
- coordinates admissions of foreign scholarship holders of the Ministry at Slovak institutions for their study and research stays (information about these scholarships can be found at www.grants.saia.sk);
- organises seminars on academic mobility for HEIs and information days on international study opportunities and scholarship programmes for students of secondary schools and of HEIs in close cooperation with its regional offices in Nitra, Žilina, Banská Bystrica, and Košice;
- promotes Slovak HEIs at educational fairs nationally and internationally;
- issues publications on study abroad and the monthly Bulletin SAIA (in electronic format).
Since 1990, more than 11,389 scholarship applicants for study abroad have been recommended and nominated in selection rounds.
With help of SAIA 1,452 international scholarship recipients have been admitted for study in Slovakia in 2000 – 2015, based on inter-governmental bilateral agreements.
Last modified: 2016-04-21